Sunday, May 18, 2008

Need a wake up call? Calculate your body fat

Since Sunday, 23 March I've been weighing myself on my Tanita body fat monitor and scale. Why? Because I need a constant reminder that I have to do more to get to my ideal weight. What is my ideal weight? I have no idea. The charts and the general proclamations don't convince me. So I figure I'll know my ideal weight when I see it.

Another reason I use the body fat monitor and scale is I want/need to know as soon a possible that what I'm doing is working. Yes, I'm impatient AND I need/want immediate gratification and feedback.

Anyway, today my readings were interesting.
(1) despite making a very conscious effort to eat less for the past week and a half, I weight more than ever - 172.2
(2) my fat % is 38.0 - the lowest it's been since I started the daily weigh-in
(3) my hydration % is 43.9 - the highest since the beginning of tracking
(4) my muscle % is 101.2 - the highest

This leads me to believe that something I was doing is working. I'd better restart my bowflex and other workout activities.

I stopped for two reasons. #1 I went out of town and my already shaky habit was disrupted and #2 I was bored and unmotivated partly due to not seeing any improvement. Which is one of the reasons stated for not weighing daily.

I like the daily routine of weighing so I'll keep it up. I'll just adjust my thinking to account for the lag time between doing and seeing results. So if you need a little push get a Tanita body fat monitor and scale and calculate your body fat. I'm looking forward to watching my body fat go down as my muscle % increases. Be happier now.

No comments: