Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Resistance and exercise for weight loss

In Live the Life You Love, Barbara Sher, advises that when you are resistant to doing something that you actually want to do you should “try to think of a unit small enough to give you a feeling of complete willingness”.

I need to exercise. I really, really, NEED to. I want to. I truly do. I’m about to burst. And perversely feeling myself get bigger is keeping me from wanting to move. Yet moving is the thing that will stop the spread. Moving is the antidote to my inactivity. Anyway, this morning I still couldn’t talk myself into going for a walk.

What I did finally get myself to do is look up some information on the web. Send two emails about possible exercise activities in my neighborhood and then I actually made a phone call. The phone is at the top of my “things I hate” list so for me to call anyone is momentous and for me to call a stranger is next to unheard of. So maybe to paraphase Nin, “the day has come when the risk to remain tight in a bud is more painful than the risk it takes to blossom”. I hope so. (…hope is not a method) Anyway, I hope so. The phone call was to a personal trainer who is participating in a project called Active Louisville. There’s a Hip Hop-ercise dance class tonight at 6. She sounded so pert, energetic, and helpful that I’m going to go and …. I’m going to go. Let me leave it at that.

No comments: