Sunday, July 30, 2006

Would I Actually Play Rugby Football?

I was out with my daughter and picked up a postcard inviting me to join the Louisville Women's Rugby Football Club. My daughter laughed at me. I don't really know what rugby football is. I think I've seen a practice at Seneca Park a couple of years ago yet that could have been something else.

No experience necessary! That's what the card states. And good thing since I have no experience being a member of a team. The only sports experience I have is doing karate in high school. I'm not good with sports. I'm too self conscious of my body. I'm paranoid about getting hit and/or hurt. My temper's too short in physical situations. I'd either end up hitting someone or crying because I wanted to.

So why'd I pick up the card?


People can change. I need a change. I've read over and over again and said it too, that if exercise was fun and interesting I'd do it more often. And if I did it more often surely I'd lose some weight and feel better. I'd actually be more active. That's good in and of itself.

I can at least email and find out about when and how often they practice. I can at least go watch a game. I can at least pretend as if I'm going to do something new and potentially dangeous and beneficial. The Louisville team calls themselves, The Riversharks.

How many calories can I burn?


One site estimated the calories burned in an hour to be 780 for a person my size. That's compared to 550 for jogging, which I'd never do & 784 for jumping rope at a moderate rate, which I love to do! Jumping rope fast for 1 hour would burn about 940 calories. That could solve all my weight problems. I can't jump for an hour yet I could jump for 5 minutes, every hour on the hour during 12 of my 16 daily conscious hours. Why does exercise always sound so easy and doable in writing??

related post: dance like no one is watching & lose a pound a week

1 comment:

MultiPurposeWoman said...

I didn't need to call or email. They have a website: http://www.louisvillerugby.org/womens/

Practices are are usually 2 days a week in the evening from 6:30-8:30PM.
Games are on Saturdays. There are usually 8-9 games in a season. Many are away - so there's driving involved.

Dues are $50 plus there's some other $35 fee and you have to have $100,000 of medical insurance coverage.

Oh, well. I already have a jump rope and music to dance to.