Sunday, October 03, 2004

starting as best I can

I will begin at the beginning and follow my thoughts, urgings, readings, writings, intuition, and as yet unknown proddings.

I have often referred to the body as a ‘spirit container’. I have heard other people use similar analogies. My body places me in this world. My body is a marker. What is it holding a place for?

In linguistics, according to D, a marker is (a) an element of a construction, as a coordinating conjunction, which is not a part of either immediate constituent and (b) a constituent that determines the function of a construction. This linguistics “marker” is interesting but different from my place holding marker. Isn’t it? How often will language in various forms try to blow me off course?

If I, in this brown, female, plump body, were born in a different place and/or time, I’d experience this world differently and this world would experience me differently. If I were born in the exact same place and time, but in a different physical form, I’d experience this world differently. So, the way I am is relevant to this experience.

There is no way to test this theory.

Sometimes, I try to forget/ignore how important the body is to being in this world. Sometimes, I try to pretend as if the body doesn’t count. Sometimes I forget how much of who I am has to do with the body I live in.

There is that disembodied thought, “I” separated from “body”. That is what I want to consciously explore in some structured way.

No comments: